Thursday 1 October 2015

Personal Experience in a Formal/Informal setting

When I was around 6 or 7 years old, my parents signed me up for swim lesson, to much of my surprise. I was never a good swimmer, and I didn't like the idea of being inside water (I was always afraid of swimming in deep ends due to my fear of drowning). I can't remember much about the first day of swim lesson, but I did remember my learning process in between.

First of all, I really did not like the smell of swimming pools, or anywhere beyond that matter. And second of all, the pool was used not for recreational purposes, so there weren't too many people swimming for leisure. I know that if I drown, they won't be in time to catch me or I won't have anyone to hang on to. As you can probably imagine, to get me actually inside the water was tough. However, as time goes by, I got used to this fear. My swimming instructor, a young woman, was very calm and patient with me. It's as if she understood my fear of water and seems to be okay with me acting this way. As well, I wasn't the only one who is afraid of swimming in deep ends. Knowing that I wasn't alone in this made me feel more comfortable. My instructor was also with me, side by side, knowing that she will catch me if I did drown. She was my lifeguard. Slowly, as time goes by, I gained confidence and independence, knowing fully well that I can swim on my own.

At the last day of my swimming lessons, I remember there was a big swim race, where beginners like me race across lanes. I remember I was competing with this other girl around my age, and I couldn't believe that I got to the end before she did! It was a rewarding feeling, and both my parents and the instructor were very proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment