Sunday 22 November 2015

Exit slip: Longsword math activity!

I really enjoyed this activity in class and I cannot wait to share that with my friends! What I like about the longsword activity is that we individually were given coffee stir sticks to work with, on a small level; combined with the picture given on the board, we were able to work with a partner or by ourselves to create beautiful shapes and sizes out of these ordinary tools. I also worked on my own to create other artwork that is math-related too. Once I did that, I started to brainstorm other shapes that I could build, and I thought about where I see them in real life, or how these shapes can be used in real life. It is from my everyday life did I draw inspiration from, and I think students in high school and even elementary school would equally enjoy building something with their hands. This can also be a rewarding experience for the students, where they can learn math and create math out of ordinary objects. Doing this can also give students the possibilities of constructing other math shapes out of something we see and use every day. In a way, this activity reminds me of the EDCP342A math/art project where we use various resources from our every day lives.

The dance was enjoyable to learn as well. I find it much easier to learn something from doing and acting. I think this activity would be a great way for students to use actions to construct mathematically-created shapes. To let them "be and build the math", for the lack of better words, is a good learning technique that would definitely be a memorable experience for students in that they won't forget what they learned when they leave the classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment